Gotse Delchev 2900
2 Tsaritsa Yoanna Str.
tel. +359 751 60071-4
fax +359 751 60066
The municipality of Goce Delchev is situated in the southwestern part of Bulgaria in the valley of the Mesta river. The area of the municipality is 315,8 km2. The municipal center is 105 km away from Blagoevgrad and 203 km away from Sofia. The municipality is crossed by the second-class roads Simitli – Razlog – Goce Delchev and Pazardzik – Velingrad – Yakoruda – Bansko – Goce Delchev, and the third-class Goce Delchev – Katuntsi – Kulata and Goce Delchev – Satovcha – Dospat. The nearest sea port is 95 km away from the town of Kavala, Greece. The number of population of the municipality is 32 784 people. The municipality consists of 10 villages and the town of Goce Delchev. The municipality has full telephone and mobile operator coverage and provides Internet access.
Industry is the leading branch which determines the municipal economy. The manufacturing industry enterprises determine the level of economic activity of the municipality. Well represented is men’s confection, shoes, textile, plastic articles and other. Food, wine and tobacco industry and woodworking are also well developed. Tobacco processing is traditional for the municipality. Natural conditions favor the development of plant-growing, while the main income for village population is tobacco production. Growing other cultivations and breeding other stock is mostly intended to meet personal needs. Tourism has also got great development potential which is determined by the beautiful nature, rich cultural and historical heritage, near location of border checkpoint, etc.
The city and region have an ancient history. Were found numerous remains of ancient and late ancient settlements. Nevrokop occurred 7 km from Nicopolis ad Nestum / I - VI century / - the most important city between the Struma and Mesta Average during the Roman and early Byzantine era. In the place "Maiden's Ravine" are remains of a fortress and settlement XII - XIV c. Under Nevrokop name the settlement was mentioned in Ottoman registers of the second half of XV century Evliya Celebi describes it as "white and pretty" with many inns, schools, beautiful houses and fountains, churches and mosques. In the XIX century, along with agriculture, animal husbandry, sericulture and apiculture highly developed and crafts, goldsmith, homespun, fur, pottery, coppersmith and others. The city had more than 590 shops. Nevrokop became the focus of church, educational and national liberation struggles of the Bulgarians. In 1894 became the seat of Nevrokop diocese. The city is connected to free Bulgaria on October 19, 1912. In the next dramatic year Nevrokop harboring thousands of refugees driven from their homes in Syarsko and Drama.
Notion about the rich historical past and cultural heritage of the region gives history museum in Gotse Delchev, located in a house-cultural monument of national importance. Monuments of the culture are churches St. Michael the Archangel /1811/ and the Assumption /1865/. Samples of traditional Renaissance architecture have been preserved in the villages Delchevo Dobrotino and Musomishte. Ability to touch up the folklore and ethnographic heritage of the region provide the celebrations of all major Christian holidays, traditional gatherings of villages, concerts of Nevrokop ensemble for folk songs and dances.
Important for the local economy is tourism in all its varieties. Prerequisite for its development in the municipality are Pirin National Park "with beautiful scenery and well-governed network of tourist routes, mountain resort Popovi meadows and village Delchevo which offer excellent conditions for recreation. The city offers many amenities of luxury hotels, restaurants and a pleasant atmosphere and good food. Current information about them can be obtained at the tourist information center.
In memory of the rich historical past, the traditions and preserve the cultural heritage with the dynamism of its creative present Gotse Delchev municipality is a true bridge between past and future.